Student Visa

Why study in canada?

Canada offers vast opportunities to students to unlock their potential in the international job market. Canada is the leader in many areas of technology, research and management and offers students the right exposure to best resources and learning tools. Add to this the excitement of cross-cultural experience of studying with people from across the world, and you truly get what’s called global education.

Desire offer information and guidance to select destination, the universities or colleges, programs, admissions, accommodations. Desire headquarters are in Canada but our global reach provides onshore support to students wherever they are in the world.

About Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

The PGWP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWP program helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry.

  • A work permit under the PGWP program may be issued for the length of the study program or up to a maximum of three years if you have studied at least 2 years for full time in Canada.
  • A post-graduation work permit cannot be issued for a study program which is less than eight months in length.
  • For example;
    – If you graduate from a four-year degree program, 3 year advance diploma program or a 2 year diploma program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit upon meeting other criteria.
    – If you graduate from a 1 year post graduate certificate or diploma program, you would be eligible for a work permit of 1 year
    – If you graduate from a nine-month certificate program, you will get a work permit for no more than nine months.
    To obtain a work permit after your graduation, you must meet the following requirements:
  • Be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
  • You must have continuously studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
  • In addition, you must have graduated from:
    – a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
    – a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, or
    – a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP), or
    – a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if you are enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution.
  • You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.
  • You must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.