If you plan to work in Canada after you graduate, you need a work permit, and for that, we are here to assist you!
The Canadian Immigration has also launched the post-graduation work permit program for international students planning to graduate from Canadian colleges and universities. It also helps the students get permanent residency in Canada. With a post-graduate work permit, you can work at any location in Canada for any employee. If you complete your graduation from a top university, you become eligible for a post-graduate work permit.
Validity Of A Post-Graduate Work Permit
The validity of your work permit majorly depends on the length of your college degree. If your program is scheduled for less than eight months, you are not eligible for the work permit. If your program is for more than eight months but less than two years, you have the chance to get a work permit for the same duration as your college graduation degree. For example, if you plan to study in Canada for a 12 months course, you will get a work permit valid for 12 months. International students who plan to study in Canada for a course that is two or more years long will get a valid work permit for three years.
Eligibility Criteria For A Post-Graduate Work Permit
Graduation does not guarantee a work permit, as you must check Designated Learning Institute (DLI), which offers such programs. Once you receive the final marks, you can apply for a work permit. If your permit expires while waiting for the mark, you can follow two steps: choose to stay in Canada for longer by applying as a visitor, or you can apply for a post-graduate work permit once you leave Canada.
These are the following criteria:
- Must complete a course from Designated Learning Institute.
- Students should have a valid study permit.
- Students must apply for the permit before it expires.
- Students must write an application for the status change from student to visit before the expiry of a study permit.
- Must have full-time student status in each semester except for the final semester.
Ineligibility criteria for a post-graduate work permit:
- Students who already have a work permit.
- If a student takes self-improvement or general courses.
- If a student studied English or French as a secondary language.
- If the student has taken part in the Government of Canada Awards.
- If a student has an Equal Opportunity scholarship.
- If the student did take part in the China-Canada Scholar Exchange Program.
- If the student got his degree from distance learning.
- If the student got his degree from a Non-Canadian school or college situated in Canada.
Work Permit Eligibility Special Cases
There are various exception cases when it comes to eligibility for a Canadian work permit. First, your passport must be valid till the length of your work permit. If your passport expires, your work permit would be valid as per your passport validity. However, you can also apply for an extension of your work permit.
If the students transfer schools and colleges, then the total duration of the course should be more than eight months to become eligible for the work permit. If you transfer your college from non-DLI to DLI, only the duration of DLI would be considered.
How Long Does It Take To Get A Post-graduate Work Permit?
A post-graduate work permit takes somewhere between 80 to 180 days to process. While you wait for it, you are allowed to work in Canada. If you leave Canada after completing your course, you can apply for a PGWP overseas. You must submit your PGWP application from Canada. If it is done outside of Canada, you have to go through an additional documentation process.
Benefits For Applying Online Work Permit
- You would not have to pay any mail or courier fees.
- You will be able to make sure your application is completed before submission.
- Online applications are computed quicker than paper applications.
- You can regularly track the status of your work permit application.
Get Your Free Online Visa Assessment
If you are sure about PGWP, fill in the free online visa assessment, and our professional consultant will contact you, providing the details of the services we offer!